Commercial Filming & Photography Permit
If you are planning to do commercial filming or photography in the City of Imperial Beach, you will need to submit an application for both public and private property. If you are planning to use a drone, please provide proof of your Federal Aviation Agency (FAA) license and obtain permission through Naval Base Coronado to enter their airspace.
Before final approval you will need to provide a certificate evidencing Commercial General Liability insurance in the name of the permit applicant/organization and a separate Additional Insured Endorsement, Additional Insured Form CG2026 (PDF), designating “City of Imperial Beach”. The applicant may also be asked to provide other insurance as deemed necessary to address the risk associated with the event, for example, Liquor Legal, Fireworks, Automobile, Aviation, etc. If the applicant is unable to meet the above requirements, special event liability insurance may be purchased through the City's Administrative Services Department, depending on the type and scope of the event.
Minimum policy limits are generally $2 million aggregate and $1 million per occurrence. Each policy and endorsement must include the City of Imperial Beach, its officials, directors, employees, representatives, and volunteers as additionally named insured. If your event will be held on the tidelands, the Port of San Diego must also be listed as additionally insured. Insurance coverage must be primary and maintained for the duration of the event including set-up and dismantle dates and times. The applicant and all contracted service providers that have paid employees must also submit proof of Worker's Compensation Insurance with a minimum policy limit of $1 million.
Summary of Requirements
Certificate of Insurances
All Certificates of Insurance must name as the Additional Insured: The City of Imperial Beach, its officials, directors, employees, representatives, and volunteers. (Must also include Unified Port of San Diego if held on tidelands.)
Additional Insured Endorsements
All separate additional Insured Endorsements must name, The City of Imperial Beach, its officials, directors, employees, representatives, and volunteers. (Must also include Unified Port of San Diego if held on tidelands.)
Any organization conducting business will need to obtain a City of Imperial Beach Business license.
How to Apply?
- Create an Account if you have not submitted an online application with the City of Imperial Beach previously. If you already have an account proceed to the next step.
- Gather all needed documents
- Detailed Layout Map(s) Map Template.
- Certificate of Liability Insurance. Example Certificate of Liability Insurance.
- Event Timeline. The timeline needs to include all activities including setup, deliveries, tear down, and time you will be off-site. Timeline Template.
- Service Provider Form (required if applicable). Businesses that provide goods or services to your event (For example, event management, equipment rental, food catering, air jumps, etc.) need to be listed on this form.
- Submit a Commercial Filming Application. After you submit your application staff will contact you within 72 hours for any additional information and to provide instructions for the next steps. If you have not received a response from staff within 5 days, please feel free to reach out regarding your application.
- Go online to pay any required fees.
- Once all fees are paid and all forms are submitted then a Filming & Photography Permit will be issued.