- Parks & Recreation
- Special Events
- Apply for a Permit
- Neighborhood Block Party Permit
Neighborhood Block Party Permit
Neighborhood Block Party Information
- Applicants must be 18+ years old.
- Applications, block party closure map, and Neighbor Authorization Form must be submitted at least 30 days prior to your event date and can be made up to 6 months in advance.
- Please have your permit accessible on the day of the event.
- A computer kiosk is available at City Hall to complete the application if needed.
|Fee Item||Cost (subject to change)|
|Sound Amplification Fee||$36|
|Road Closure Fee||$150|
Event Forms & Documents
If you are planning to host a block party, please make sure to get approval from all your neighbors by completing the Neighbor Authorization Form. A minimum of 80% of the households on the closed street must agree to the closure for approval, including units of apartment complexes located on the block.
*Tip: Passing out flyers to invite your neighbor to the party is a great way to get their signature on the Neighbor Authorization Form.
Before final approval you will need to provide a certificate evidencing Commercial General Liability insurance in the name of the permit applicant/organization and a separate Additional Insured Endorsement, Additional Insured Form CG2026 (Example), designating “City of Imperial Beach”.
The Neighborhood Block Party Applicant must be listed as the insured. If the party listed as insured on the certificate of liability insurance is different than the neighborhood block party applicant, we will request an application from the party listed as the insured delaying the application process.
The applicant may also be asked to provide other insurance as deemed necessary to address the risk associated with the event, for example, Liquor Legal, Fireworks, Automobile, Aviation, etc. If the applicant is unable to meet the above requirements, special event liability insurance may be purchased through the City's Administrative Services Department, depending on the type and scope of the event.
Minimum policy limits are generally $2 million aggregate and $1 million per occurrence. Each policy and endorsement must include the City of Imperial Beach, its officials, directors, employees, representatives, and volunteers as additionally named insured. If your event will be held on the tidelands, the San Diego Unified Port District must also be listed as additionally insured. Insurance coverage must be primary and maintained for the duration of the event including set-up and dismantle dates and times. The applicant and all contracted service providers that have paid employees must also submit proof of Worker's Compensation Insurance with a minimum policy limit of $1 million.
Summary of Requirements
Certificate of Insurances
All Certificates of Insurance must name as the Additional Insured: The City of Imperial Beach, its officials, directors, employees, representatives, and volunteers. (Must also include San Diego Unified District if held on the beach, Pier Plaza, and/or Dunes Park.)
Additional Insured Endorsements
Additional Insured Form CG2026 (PDF)
All separate additional Insured Endorsements must name, The City of Imperial Beach, its officials, directors, employees, representatives, and volunteers.
It is important to remember all businesses providing a service for your event need to have a valid Imperial Beach business license and insurance on file with us. If you will be using service providers for your event such as equipment rentals, stage setup, bouncy houses, or even brining extra restrooms, we will require the Service Providers Form.
Service Provider Form
- Create an Account if you have not submitted an online application with the City of Imperial Beach previously. If you already have an account proceed to the next step.
- Submit a Block Party Application . After you submit your application staff will contact you within 72 hours for any additional information and to provide instructions for the next steps. If you have not received a response from staff within 5 days, please feel free to reach out regarding your application.
- Go online to pay any required fees.
- Once all fees are paid a permit will be issued.
- Fill out the application in advance (optional)
You can print and fill out the application to bring with you
Block Party Application
- Come to the Parks, Recreation & Community Services office for staff assistance
The hours of operation for the office are:
Monday - Friday 9:00 am - 4:00 pm
or by appointment
Please note the office closed on all City holidays.
1075 8th Street
Imperial Beach, CA 91932
- Cancellation requests need to be made in writing to the Parks, Recreation & Community Services Department.
- All changes to an existing reservation must be made 7 or more days in advance.
- No refunds will be issued for cancelled events.