Imperial Beach is a business-friendly community!
Staff is here to help new business owners and encourage new businesses within the city.
Are you considering opening a new business in Imperial Beach?
You may find useful our Guide for New Business Owners (pdf).
You can also review the list of Contacts and Resources (pdf).
Apply for a New Business License
Pay/Renew an Existing Business License
It is unlawful for any person, or for any person as agent, clerk, or employee, either for himself or for any other person, within the corporate limits of the City, to transact, engage in or carry on any business, show, exhibition or game specified in this chapter without first having procured a license as required.
General Terms of Owning a Business License
- Changes in ownership, business location, or change of use/business type require the completion of a new application.
- Business licenses are nontransferable.
- Business license taxes vary by type of business, location, and the number of employees. Please see the fee schedule (link below) for more information.
- All business license taxes must be paid in order to be issued. Fees can be paid by mailed check or online via credit card or e-check (processing fees apply).
- Business licenses are not legal until all applicable city departments have approved the application and the business license is posted at the business location.
- All existing businesses are emailed renewal notices 30 days before they are set to expire.
- To avoid late penalties, renewals must be paid by the 13th day after they expire.
- All rental properties are required to be licensed.
- Where do I apply for a business license
- What type of business license do I apply for?
- Can I apply for a business license on my mobile phone?
- What fees are listed on the rental property business license?
- How do rental property inspections work?
- Can I request a rental property inspection on a specific date?