Temporary Encroachment Permit

An encroachment permit is required for any work in the city right-of-way (ROW) or city easement. Permits are issued by staff once fees are collected for plan check, inspection, traffic control plan review and permit processing. A bond or cash deposit may be required for all work performed within the public right-of-way.

Types of work that require an encroachment permit include:

  • Removal and replacement of existing curb, gutter, and sidewalk
  • Driveways
  • Landscaping 
  • Minor new improvements, such as sidewalks, next to existing curb and pedestrian ramps
  • Street light work
  • Temporary dumpsters, storage PODS placed in city right-of-way
  • Trenching
  • Sewer lateral 
  • Fences
  • Tree removal
  • New Utility Connection/Repair
  • Franchised Utility Excavation
  • Other Encroachment
The City of Imperial Beach has moved to a new entirely online permit, plan check, and payment processing system. To apply for all encroachment permits, applicants must first create a Citizen Self-Service Account in the Citizen Self-Service (CSS) portalKiosks are available for applicant use at City Hall. Staff will be available during non-inspection hours to assist with permit help from 7:30 A.M - 9:00 A.M and 3:30 P.M. - 5:00 P.M. 

For additional questions or information, please contact Crystal Celis at (619) 423-8311 or at ccelis@imperialbeachca.gov

View instructions (PDF) 
on how to create a CSS Account and apply for a Temporary Encroachment Permit (TEP).