- Environmental & Natural Resources
- Energy Efficiency
Energy efficiency is typically one of the easiest and most cost-effective ways to reduce monthly utility bills and improve the comfort and health of your home or business. Follow these easy tips to get started:
- Learn how your home or business is using energy to find out the best ways to save it!
- Once you have decided to do an energy efficiency improvement, apply for rebates and incentives to help lower the project costs.
- For more expensive energy efficiency upgrade projects, financing may be available to help cover the initial costs, which can be repaid through the monthly energy cost savings.
San Diego Community Power
San Diego Community Power (SDCP) is a local provider of electricity that will serve our communities by bringing you cleaner energy at competitive rates. They will provide renewable electricity service to over 960,000 customer accounts in the cities of Chula Vista, Encinitas, Imperial Beach, La Mesa, and San Diego starting in 2022, with the incorporated communities of the County of San Diego and the City of National City served in 2023. Visit San Diego Community Power's website.
Solar Powering Imperial Beach
Adding solar panels to your building can help you reduce utility bills and improve local air quality. To help your solar permitting process, the City's Building Division has created:
- A Solar Photovoltaic (PV) Submittal Requirements Form
- Standard Plans
- Inspection Guide
- An Eligibility Checklist to outline the necessary permitting steps for installation
These resources can be found on the Building Division Forms and Applications page.
Low-income families may be eligible for Solar PV systems at little or no cost through a special California incentive. For more info, visit the non-profit GRID Alternatives website.
Learn about Solar
Visit the State of California’s website to learn the basics about solar power.
Home Upgrade Rebates & Financing
There are a variety of incentives & financing programs to help residents implement energy and water-saving improvements at little or no upfront cost.
- San Diego Gas & Electric (SDG&E) Energy Efficiency Rebates
- San Diego WaterSmart Rebates
- Center for Sustainable Energy (CSE) Self-Generation Rebates
Go Green Financing was created by the state to help you find the best financing options available for your energy efficiency project. This website allows residents and businesses to browse a continuously updated database of financing solutions and filter the options to a manageable number, making it easy to get in touch with a lender that fits their unique needs and preferences. View their website to see all finance products and vendors.
Property-owners can finance energy and water improvements for up to 25 years and repay through their property taxes, by participating in one of the available Property Assessed Clean Energy (PACE) programs:
South Bay Energy Action Collaborative (SoBEAC)
The Cities of Chula Vista, Coronado, Imperial Beach, and National City are working with the San Diego Association of Governments (SANDAG) and SDG&E to help South Bay residents and businesses save energy, reduce utility bills, and become green.