Age-Friendly Imperial Beach
Age-Friendly Imperial Beach is a citywide initiative that aims to make our community
a great place to grow up and grow old.
The City of Imperial Beach launched its Age-Friendly Community project in November of 2022 through AARP's Livable Communities Initiative, with support from the San Diego Foundation Age-Friendly Communities Program. This initiative is an affiliate of the World Health Organization's (WHO) Global Network of the Age-Friendly States and Communities, an international effort launched in 2006 to help cities prepare for the growing population of older adults. AARP's Network of Age-Friendly Communities targets improved Domains of Livability that influence older adults' health and quality of life. Over the next 12 months the Age-Friendly Project Team along with our consulting team from the San Diego State University Social Policy Institute will be conducting reviews of current public policies, surveys, outreach, community forums, resulting in the preparation of an Action Plan to make Imperial Beach a more livable community for all ages.
Why is this work important?
Around the globe, populations are aging. The United Nations has declared 2021-2030 the Decade of Healthy Aging, and the WHO has called for communities around the world to become more “age friendly” in order to meet the growing needs of older adults. Here in the U.S., 1 in 4 people is projected to be over age 60 by the year 2050 and starting in 2034, the number of older people is expected to outnumber children in our country. As people live longer, many will experience disabilities. Communities must prepare to address the health, economic, and social needs of an aging population.
What is an "age-friendly" city?
An age-friendly city is a community in which people can grow up and grow old with ease. The World Health Organization (WHO) determined specific environmental, economic, and social factors that influence the health and well-being of older adults. These are sometimes called the "8 Domains" of livability.
- Transportation: Community mobility is essential to optimal aging. Age-Friendly Imperial Beach supports safe, reliable, and easy-to-use travel options—including accessible and affordable public transit, rideshare, walking, and biking—to get people of all ages where they need to go.
- Housing: Older adults want to age in place—stay in their homes and communities for as long as possible—and benefit from living in affordable, age-friendly housing. Age-Friendly Imperial Beach supports diverse housing options that allow older adults of all incomes to live in clean, safe, comfortable, and well-maintained housing that meets their access needs.
- Outdoor Spaces and Buildings: People need public places to gather—indoors and out. Age-Friendly Imperial Beach supports parks and other green spaces, safe streets, sidewalks, outdoor seating, and accessible buildings that are universally designed and can be used and enjoyed by people of all ages and abilities.
- Social Participation: Social participation and physical activity are essential for both quality of life and longevity. Age-Friendly Imperial Beach supports learning, fitness, social, cultural, and spiritual activities for older adults as well as intergenerational activities that are accessible, affordable, safe, and fun.
- Respect and Social Inclusion: Everyone deserves to feel valued. Age-Friendly Imperial Beach celebrates and draws upon the wisdom and experience of older adults, encourages intergenerational and multicultural understanding, works to eliminate ageism, and prioritizes the language access needs of Imperial Beach's diverse aging population.
- Civic Participation and Employment: Whether working for pay or volunteering time and talent, many older adults find value in contributing to their communities. Age-Friendly Imperial Beach supports services for mature jobseekers who need or want to work, promotes age-friendly business practices, and encourages older adults to share their skills to address community needs.
- Community and Health Services: All people should have access to affordable health care and community services that help them live comfortably and with dignity. Age-Friendly Imperial Beach supports coordination and promotion of services to help meet the needs of older adults and caregivers.
- Communication and Information: Older adults receive information in a variety of ways, and no one way reaches every person. Age-Friendly Imperial Beach promotes accessible print and digital communications, and community partnerships that increase access to information that older adults need for optimal aging.
Our goal is to improve the quality of life for every resident as demographics change. People of all ages will benefit from the adoption of policies and programs such as making neighborhoods walkable, feature transportation options, enable access to key services, provide opportunities to participate in community activities, and very importantly to support housing that is affordable and adaptable. Age-Friendly Imperial Beach looks at equity and aims to work to eliminate disparities to fairly serve all residents, especially older adults. The City of Imperial Beach is committed to providing meaningful and relevant services to residents of all ages specifically to older residents with a vision to keep them active and healthy while residing in this city.
The City of Imperial Beach is partnering with AARP California, The San Diego Foundation, and San Diego State University Social Policy Institute, to engage and mobilize community organizations and residents in support of joining the AARP Network of Age-Friendly States and Communities to ensure that communities where we live are safe, livable, and better support people of all ages. These valuable Partners will help guide our community through the Age-Friendly Network's assessment, planning, implementation, and evaluation process.
Stay tuned for updates regarding these next steps:
- Listening Sessions
- Action Planning Sessions